Merit Walk

Thank you to a good spiritual friend for coining the term merit walk.

The last time Grant and I were here was in late fall 2012 – between big events. Grant was waiting for his hip replacement surgery, and I was recovering from radiation treatments. What a pair – it took us both considerably more than the forty minutes it took today to get to this viewpoint.

IMG_1011

Grant was a generous hiker. He loved to push it and do heavy duty climbs on his own, but when we hiked together we were a team. It was always more about the process of walking in the wilderness together, not about bagging a peak, or making a summit. We did do some pretty amazing hikes – both many day back packs and great day walks. But the best part, regardless of where and when was getting to a spot, sitting down and we’d talk. Or not. But he’d always lean over, pat my back and say: “I like doing this with you, boy.”

So – I walked to this viewpoint today and talked to him. I still seem to like doing this.

IMG_1041

A bit lower on the Skagit River, the spring flowers were exploding all over the place.

IMG_1026

This little gem…

IMG_1045

IMG_1019

On the drive home I saw this youngster chomping on grass.

grantsretreat2010atjoannescabin 005

This is where the trail with the viewpoint eventually ends up. Grant took this picture his last hike up here.

This post is dedicated to all the mothers who are missing someone they love.

12 thoughts on “Merit Walk

1. Sandra May 10, 2015 / 3:44 am

A touching post. I’m constantly amazed at your inner and outer strength. You’re a great photographer too – I love the photo of the tree and the river.

• warpandwoofknitting May 10, 2015 / 3:11 pm

Hi Sandra; Thank you so much. I am glad you like the photos – its easy to take pictures of our beautiful home. I bet you and Doug have walked a lot of these places over the years, camping in your red van!

2. mugo May 10, 2015 / 8:02 am

So Grant. That pat on the back and the ‘boy’! Such fun. Just was remembering that walk after dark back in August. Glad you are out on the trail and talking great photos. Happy Wesak, just about ready to celebrate for the third time this year, at Telford. Keep up the hiking with the boy.

3. Carole May 10, 2015 / 3:57 pm

What a beautiful way to wish all mothers a happy day!!!! Again you made me cry (good cry). Much love. Am glad to see you hiking with your camera and with Grant of course.

• warpandwoofknitting May 10, 2015 / 4:12 pm

Hi Mom – well, I didn’t want to leave anyone out. Your support, well it means so much. Talk to you soon. Love M

4. jodi May 10, 2015 / 4:10 pm

What a beautiful and thoughtful post.
    The photos continue to amaze me. Looking forward to our visit this week so I can tell you in person how special you are.
    Xo

• warpandwoofknitting May 10, 2015 / 4:12 pm

Hey thanks Jodi – I have told you for years – we lift each other up! I am sure glad to know you.

5. Elaine Saxton May 10, 2015 / 9:53 pm

Thanks Michele I sure am missing my sonny Grant today !! He is always in my heart xxoo

• warpandwoofknitting May 10, 2015 / 11:30 pm

I know you are Elaine. There is a little less colour in the world these days. M

6. Aurelian May 11, 2015 / 12:42 am

Thank you for this, Michele. Your blog just keeps getting better and better.