Bear Appreciation

There is no question – seeing a bear in its own turf is a highlight. Most sightings are like this:

IMG_2503

That’s a black bear’s round rear end. What usually happens on a hike is there is a noise, we turn, exclaim, and see the furry backside of an animal very sensibly getting away from us. The presence of two-legged mammals is usually enough to send the four-legged mammals off to quieter places. That is how is should be.

The bear looks brown in the photo and in fact it is. It’s a cinnamon bear. Black bears come in a range of colour and on our walks at our friend’s cabin we saw two cinnamon coloured ones.

Earlier in the day we encountered this lovely lady. We locked gazes a moment, till I foolishly said something along the lines of “wow” under my breath. That’s when we could see this bear realize that yes indeed we were those darned humans, and she sensibly headed for the hills, along with her yearling cub.

IMG_2499

You can see her mouth is open a bit – she is trying to smell us and it helps if one’s mouth is open. (I think we humans do that too, but I may be making that up.)
The only reason we got this close is because the wind was coming towards us. (And by close, remember I have a reasonable zoom lens going on here!)

This is such a rich retreat. Walking in the quiet, seeing aspects of the world just going on about its business, whether we are there or not. We get to have a small look into beyond our immediate horizons on a trip like this.

IMG_2418

Mission Bells, or Chocolate Lilies they are sometimes called. Scads of them near the cabin.

(I knit but honestly, pictures of knitted socks are pretty dull stacked up against these. Maybe when we get back to town…)

8 thoughts on “Bear Appreciation

1. lovemydogs61 June 6, 2014 / 4:07 am

Grant & Michele…Absolutely beautiful photos…and Michele..you have a way of writing…we are right there sharing in your experience…simply amazing! What a gift you have…Thank you for sharing…I am sorry for repeating myself…but we miss you guys…love you tons…but loving that you both have been enjoying your retreat and settling into all the beauty and the mindfulness that is guiding your path….Walk on… xoxo…

• warpandwoofknitting June 6, 2014 / 5:48 pm

hi lovey; We are headed back to town, will be in touch. All fine, but time to head back to the city for a bit…Love us.

2. mosaicthinking June 6, 2014 / 7:23 am

Rear end of a bear retreating – sounds like the best view you could possibly have. I enjoyed your photos very much.

• warpandwoofknitting June 6, 2014 / 5:47 pm

Thanks! I love bears and it is so great to see them, butts or fronts!

3. Auntie Bette June 7, 2014 / 1:43 am

Michele,I love your pictures and remarks. Sounds like you have made many a mile this spring and are enjoying the beautiful sights and landscapes that you see.Our thoughts are with you on your journey.Much love,
    Auntie Bette

4. Alison June 10, 2014 / 4:16 am

Seeing the bears makes me homesick for the farm. Met lots of them, never had a problem. They are awesome creatures! Do you remember the cub up a tree that we wanted to take home as kids. Parents sure put a damper on plans heh? Your pictures are great, you have skills sister. Hugs to you both! Love Twisted Sister