Alberta Gumbo

or: Welcome to Wide Sky Country
(or: waiting on a tow truck – a bit embarrassing)

20140428-160729.jpg

20140428-160744.jpg

Gumbo is the descriptive term for mud that sticks to your boots and makes you taller, that sucks your boots from your feet leaving you hopping in cold wet socks trying to return foot to boot without falling over. I got my dad’s four wheel drive SO stuck when I was a teenager it took a truck and a tractor to get it out. The Peace country is known for its gumbo. Pretty country, with it’s wide skies and all- but damn that gumbo!

(Second picture is Grant washing the truck chains in a puddle- gumbo)

20140428-161652.jpg

8 thoughts on “Alberta Gumbo

1. Deb April 28, 2014 / 11:02 pm

Ahhh sticky mud. Kind of like the Corb Lund song “The Truck Got Stuck”.

Last summer we were hiking in a muddy area of Yellowhead County and ended up rescuing more of the kids shoes left in the mud than I have ever seen before. They would get stuck and then just walk out of their shoes through the mud in their bare feet or socks. What a mess.

Judging from your pictures the ground looks pretty wet up there. I’ve been wondering what north of us was like as we have been toying with checking out the cabin (Lac Ste. Anne County). I think I can assume there will be a lot of mud there as well.

• warpandwoofknitting April 28, 2014 / 11:33 pm

Oh yes, there are overflowing ditches and the fields are full of standing water. Your kids were in the same stuff we got caught in for sure! Our road was deceptive, looked like it was well gravelled but we drove and then just sank. Andy’s Towing out of Valleyview- good service!

Sent from my iPhone

• Deb April 29, 2014 / 12:23 am

Fields full of standing water will mean our cabin is now “lake front”……even though it isn’t….LOL! There is a three foot drop at our back property line and if there is a lot of ground water the field behind us fills up and we have water to the fence. Sounds like rubber boot weather.

• warpandwoofknitting April 29, 2014 / 1:10 am

Yes indeed! The sun is out and the wind is blowing so hopefully things will dry quickly.

Sent from my iPhone

2. Megan April 28, 2014 / 11:45 pm

Holy cow! So lovely to hear from you 🙂

• warpandwoofknitting April 29, 2014 / 1:09 am

Thanks Megan- all good with us, we are camping in the sun here- recovering from our little adventure.

Sent from my iPhone

3. lovemydogs61 April 29, 2014 / 2:29 am

I hope you guys got out of the gumbo! Love ya both! Miss you! Xoxo…

• warpandwoofknitting April 29, 2014 / 3:53 pm

Well it was a bit of a nail biter when the tow truck almost got stuck but all good now! We are in sunshine, listening to the birds and thinking of you guys. Xoxoxo

Sent from my iPhone