Maintenance

IMG_2050Ooh this is satisfying. The wheel freshly dusted, cleaned, rubbed with oil. All the moving parts with a bit of oil applied. And then the fibre, a local Gotland, purchased yesterday at Fibres West. It seems to want to be spun semi worsted, though you can see the little bits poking up, I hope this will bloom when washed. There is a bit of lanolin in this, between oiling the wheel and working with the fibre, my hands are suddenly very soft.

IMG_2053And the vest, seen blocking. At 2.5 stitches to the inch it flew along. The centre panel shows a double dorge, or vajra it is sometimes called. More often seen in Tibetan Buddhism than our practice, but it has particular meaning to the wearer. (Who is pleased with it. And, while it has yet to be finished completely, needs a zipper and some tidying up, it fits. Whew.) I am leaving the explanation of the dorge to the wikipedia article. (Pure inertia on my part, I am not up to attempting a description of what it means in a personal way. ) The waves upper and lower bracket the main panel in a deliberate manner. And it is a knitted vest, not a sacred object – the purpose here is to warm the wearer.

And finally – I got a shot of a Red Winged Blackbird. A good walk out at the bird sanctuary. Patience is paying off. (Bird seed helped.) Aren’t the colours gorgeous on this fellow?

IMG_2032

12 thoughts on “Maintenance

1. Megan March 22, 2014 / 11:40 pm

The vest is lovely!

2. Leah March 23, 2014 / 1:01 pm

Wow! Great pix! I love the vest, and the wool you are spinning is beautiful! The bird makes me appreciate how color combinations in nature just “happen” and are amazing.

3. Auntie Bette March 23, 2014 / 3:57 pm

I am amazed at the work you do,the vest is gorgeous.Think of you and Grant often and send our love. auntie Bette

• warpandwoofknitting March 23, 2014 / 3:59 pm

Thanks Auntie Bette! It is a fun way to spend a bit of time. And thank you for all the good thoughts too.

4. warpandwoofknitting March 23, 2014 / 3:58 pm

Hi Leah; Thanks! I am so thrilled after all these months of getting blurry shots of birds to finally get a good look at this guy. (Sunshine on the spinning wheel, too good to not try and capture…thanks again.)

5. Carole March 23, 2014 / 5:03 pm

I love your vest also and I can surely see how you love your wheel. The color and glow of it is just gorgeous. Makes me want to touch it.

6. starproms March 23, 2014 / 6:17 pm

That bird is gorgeous! I’ve pinned it… The wheel looks great. Now I have to do mine because you’ve put me to shame! Love the wool and the sweater. There is nothing like the feel of handspun is there.

• warpandwoofknitting March 23, 2014 / 6:20 pm

Thank you! Spring must have sprung, I am looking at all sorts of cleaning and “caring for” projects. Yes, I absolutely love handspun – it has life!

7. Priya March 25, 2014 / 2:07 am

Every time I look at this blog and see the pictures and comments I think,”That’s my big sister.” ❤

• warpandwoofknitting March 25, 2014 / 2:56 am

And aren’t I lucky to have such a great little sister!! Nice to get your comment Sunshine:)