Warp and Woof?

Warp and Woof was the name of a now defunct group that a few members of my sangha attended for a while. (Sangha, in this definition is a group of people studying the path of Buddhism, in this case our local congregation.) “Woof” is interchangeable for the weaving term “weft”, though you don’t see it used so much, it is a bit archaic I suppose. I heard the term “the warp and woof of our lives” used in a Dharma talk and it stuck with me. (A Dharma talk is when someone, a teacher, talks about how to live by Buddhist Precepts.) Anyhow, the name seemed to fit, both the old group of mostly women who studied the Dharma together, and who happened to also ply some kind of fibre craft and for what Sunshine and I talked about when we planned this little blog. For one reason or another the warp and woof group eventually faded away. It didn’t end acrimoniously, it just wasn’t needed any more I guess.

Warp and woof – the intersection of all the facets of our lives.

So anyhow.

We had a meditation at our house today and M., a friend who teaches a good part of the year in India, near Ladakh, brought these as a gift.

IMG_0126Aren’t they great? I suspect they are acrylic, given that synthetics are being used instead of wool in many of the traditional crafts, but they are made in an old-fashioned way. They are so vibrant and fit perfectly. Knitting is so forgiving of shape, the toes and heel hug my foot perfectly. Given their likely acrylic nature I won’t wear them in shoes as they won’t last under friction, but save them for house slipper wear. So pretty.

Personal knitting projects are on hold, hopefully temporarily. Hand pain has been creeping in, and is a reminder to take care of those most important tools. I hope this is a transient phenomenon, it is a new one, so maybe a good rest will do the trick. Luckily weaving doesn’t seem to bother my poor old thumbs at all so that is continuing. Braveheart approves.

IMG_0115Rose path on the loaner loom. Such a noisy loom. I am told some people quite like the crash of the heddles. When, and oh yes, it seems to be when, I get a multi shaft loom, nylon heddles for sure. I plan to warp up the rigid heddle loom after this sampler is done, part of the comparison of the two ways to weave. So much to learn.

I am not the only one fascinated by warp and woof. This was clearly deliberately done, seen the other day on my regular neighbourhood walk.

IMG_0122

6 thoughts on “Warp and Woof?

1. mom March 4, 2013 / 3:19 pm

Good morning! Socks are great, I’ve never seen that type. Hope your hands improve soon. Much love

• warpandwoofknitting March 5, 2013 / 1:26 am

Thanks Mom! Oh yes indeedy, I hope my sore thumbs settle down. Hard to imagine not knitting! (Though I know you went through the same thing yourself. Come to think of it you are knitting again…that gives me hope!)

2. starproms March 4, 2013 / 5:53 pm

I’m sorry about your hands. Perhaps they will improve with better weather? I hope so. The slippers are so colourful. Who could not like them!
    I’d like to hear more about your Buddhism. I am a Wiccan. I think there may well be similarities.

• warpandwoofknitting March 5, 2013 / 1:25 am

Thank you for the good wishes. I really hope the sore digits settle down too – so weird not to be knitting. Thank you as well for the feedback about my Buddhist practice. It is a bit of a challenge putting something so personal into words – a good exercise I think. I imagine Wicca and Buddhism do have some similar outlooks – I know very little about Wicca but understand you practice a real reverence for the natural world? Mutual understanding can only be a good thing, anyhow.

3. Jodi March 6, 2013 / 6:38 am

Love the happy socks. Also, enjoyed our visit today. Hope your fingers are feeling better….

• warpandwoofknitting March 6, 2013 / 6:47 pm

Me too!! On all counts, socks and visit. Hands are sort of recovering so I am optimistic. Gotta pamper the crafting tools that’s the lesson.