So, I had certain plans for this cloth. It is fresh off the loom, wet finished in hot soapy water, and then subjected to the dryer. There was about 25% shrinkage in width, but not so much in length, which was interesting. Initially, I thought this would be an article of clothing, maybe a kimono style jacket or a simple tunic. I don’t sew much but as I said last post, straight seams are becoming more acceptable all the time with practise. I had to reconsider though, when I took a closer look at the cloth. The wet finishing made the open weave close up a bit, but being all cotton it remains a fairly drapey, open material. For it not to sag and grow, it would have to be lined and even then, the weight of the fabric might just be too much. Strangely, although it is very soft, it consistently feels cool to the hand. Not something to keep one warm then. It is a very pretty “tweedy” cloth as the weft was a hand painted yarn but the strong brown stripes would have to be arranged vertically to avoid any garment making the wearer look a bit like a semi trailer truck. I guess maybe not a garment after all. Marination time! Something will come of this, it just takes a bit of time to sort out. It was very enjoyable to weave, and to try to learn to look clearly at the properties of the result and come up with (hopefully) a good use for this.
To freshen the palate I started knitting up some of the hand spun I did this winter. The fibre is a souvenir from one of our trips and was a mystery roving. I do know it was processed beautifully, had a long staple, was a light and dark gray combed together in some way, and was local to where we were visiting in Idaho. The yarn is a worsted firmly twisted three-ply, about aran weight. It was a joy to spin and the resulting yarn is bouncy and lively. The flash kept consistently flattening out the cables in the photos of this vest, but in person the three-ply makes the cables pop rather nicely. Fun, fun, fun.
From the park near our house. Things love to grow here!