Three Tonne Tilly, or A Different Way to Travel

One of us is recovering from events, and one of us is preparing for events so we had to re-think how we did our little getaway this fall. Given all the factors, not the least being that we would conceivably run into snow, definitely run into rain, and if we were lucky enjoy crisp, cold autumn weather, we ended up renting this.

I dubbed her “Three Tonne Tilly”. Notice the fact that the back of the truck sits a wee  bit lower than the front. Tilly is a heavy-set girl. After years of tenting and backpacking, driving and staying in this lovely truck and camper was like navigating a boat. And yes, it is about three tonnes of equipment. When we changed lanes on the highway there was a distinct “sway” from side to side, and we felt like hollering “land ahoy” when we spotted a Tim Hortons for a coffee break. But so grateful, because we were able to have a real escape to the mountains, in comfort and out of the rain. (The snow started the day after our return to the Lower Mainland, though in the Kootenays it could be smelled in the air.)

It was a slower paced two weeks in the Kootenays. We didn’t get to the elevations we usually head to, nor did we trek the distances we have in the past. And yet despite this, or actually because of this I suspect, it was a wonderful trip, restoring energy, allowing for some quiet out of the city, and for some significant encounters with friends. We renewed an old and dear acquaintance along the way, and had tea and  meals with other good friends. Really good.

Of course I knit! The parking lot at Manning Park. Best place to sit in the sun and dodge the Grey Jays and Clarks Nutcrackers, birds with attitude who kept waiting for us to drop bits of food for them.

We did a fair bit of this…

And this is why we do what we do. Kokanee Glacier Park, in the Kootenays. On a very crisp, clear day. (The clouds just passed on by.) No people but us. To lay directly on the ground and just listen to the wind, these are some of the things I am very grateful for.

7 thoughts on “Three Tonne Tilly, or A Different Way to Travel

1. TextileRanger October 23, 2012 / 3:08 am

So gorgeous! Thank you for sharing – it’s still hot in Texas so I am grateful for a virtual breath of cool air!

• warpandwoofknitting October 23, 2012 / 3:53 am

Thank you so much, I appreciate the feedback. (I must admit I am glad we missed the snow, even if by a few days.) Isn’t it great how this act of blogging lets us see other people’s worlds a bit? Your blog is lovely by the way.

• TextileRanger October 23, 2012 / 4:07 am

Thanks! And you’re right about how great it is to see other people’s worlds – I’ve always thought of myself as a fairly well-read person, but now that I can read stories and opinions of people in Italy, India, South Africa and Australia on any given day, I feel like my world is expanding so much. I love it!

2. mom October 23, 2012 / 3:30 pm

From a northerners perspective, a day without snow is great. I have been shoveling for several days and Libby is now housebound. Poor baby. Love your pictures as usual. Your trip sounds wonderful. much love

• warpandwoofknitting October 23, 2012 / 5:03 pm

Thanks Mom – lots of sympathy your way about the snow, it is kind of early isn’t it. Poor old doggy, Libby is likely pretty upset about going out now!

3. Alison October 25, 2012 / 9:56 pm

Your trip looked like a nice and relaxing way to spend some quality time. I’m a little jealous about the fact that there is no snow. We broke records this year for the amount that fell and when. As I get a little older, I find that the snow is a lot heavier than it used to be as well as more of it, makeing shoveling something that I don’t want to do. Coincidence? Me thinks not. Anyways, your pictures remind me how beautiful this country is. Thanks!! By the way “3TonneTilly” looke appropriately named and I bet traffic hugged their sides of the road when they met you swaying down the highway.

• warpandwoofknitting October 25, 2012 / 11:19 pm

Oh yeah, that boat was in charge of the road! I am really glad you turn on your computer once in a while…that you look at my goofy blog that is. Love M